Sunday, March 15, 2009

Futbol in Buenos Aires... WOAH

I just got back from a futbol game La Boca Juniors Vs. Agentinos Juniors.... I don't even know where to begin.  This shit is totally crazy.  So we get there and everything seems kinda normal.  We get in line for the general admissions area (kinda long but eh...).  Turn your head to the left and you see some riot police hanging out just in case.. o sure I can roll with that. Very gradually things started to get crazy.  

First it was maybe 2 to 5 people just pushing their way through in line... and you're kinda like, what assholes... advance a little in the line.... then it's 15 to 20 people pushing past and you ask yourself why the hell no one is saying anything... advance a little further in line... then it's like 30 to 40 people fucking pushing their way past you and you are pressed up against the wall trying to move forwards and not get swept up with this massive rush of people.  All the while you're going, shit where's ___, oh crap we can't see ____.  I never felt unsafe, just like I was in the moshpit of some hard core punk band where you have to throw an elbow every so often.  

Riot Police: Another day spent monitoring the queue at a futbol game

So we make it to the stadium entrance and  walking up the stairs you're thinking to yourself, wow it kinda smells like pee.... then you look down and the floor and you quickly realize why.  after the pee stairs you finally get into the stadium... I was in awe!!! people were chanting and drumming and waving flags.. such a wonderful sight! of course this is all accompanied with more pushing and shoving to get better "seats" (all standing room only).  We kinda tucked ourselves into a corner to try to avoid being pushed the WHOLE game.  It was so exciting with everyone cheering non-stop and the drums going and people all pumped up! It was nuts to see the police (not the riot squad, but the ones chilling inside the stadium) and how useless they were, not even trying to control people.. for a split second it crossed my mind that if something were to go very wrong it would be REALLY bad, but we were close to the pee stairs, so we would have had an easy (but smelly) exit.  

It must have been about like 30 minutes into the first half when this guy behind me decides I am now his personal arm rest and starts puting his hands on my shoulders as leverage to jump and cheer... He even did this while smoking! All of a sudden I was like, something feels a little hot on my neck.... shit this ass is holding a cigarette in his hand while holing onto my shoulders! I wanted to turn to him and say "excuse me, but I'm not your fucking personal arm rest and if you burn me i'll burn you back", but alas that would be useless unless i could say it in spanish.  but i did keep giving him looks and dropping my shoulders so his hands would come off. no dice.  finally i moved up a step and forced him to move down! 

Despite that one dude behind me, I was enjoying being there and am really happy that I got to experience all the mayhem and excitement.  I saw two goals made which allowed me to yell "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAALLLL"

Going to an Argentinean Fultbol game is something that should be on everyone's "must experience before I get old" list. 

(check back in a day or two for some photos added to this post of the game) 

shower time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment